Saturday, September 23, 2023
Mint Chocolate, Tiger Tail, Rocky Road… what’s your favourite kind of ice cream? Unlock the secrets of creating your own delicious new ice cream flavours with a food engineer! Learn about the process of adding inclusions, colour, and flavouring. Discover the secret ingredient for making the ultimate ice cream and sorbet, and walk away with your own personalized ice cream!
Materials and Preparation: Materials can be found below.
Experts: Bonnie Douglas has over 15 years of experience working as a food engineer in cereal and ice cream factories. She also made the world’s tallest ice cream cone! Candice Blake has been a product developer for ice cream for over 12 years and has a background in food and nutrition. She also grew up on a dairy farm and played AA Girls Competitive Hockey.
“FROZEN DELIGHTS” MATERIALS LIST
- ½ cup milk (1%-15% fat*), or ½ cup soy or coconut milk (for a non-dairy ice cream)
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Food colouring (if desired)
- Toppings for ice cream – chocolate chips, sprinkles, sauce, etc. (optional but recommended!)
- 1 empty bowl/shallow cup
- 2 sandwich-sized resealable bags
- 1 large resealable bag
- 4 cups ice (crushed is best)
- 1/3 cup salt (coarse or kosher is best)
- 1 spoon
- Gloves/mittens or large cloth to hold the cold stuff (it’s surprisingly cold!)
*For a creamier texture, 10–15% fat is best. Less than 10% fat makes a delicious ice milk